Well, it had to happen eventually - Fame has come knocking.
Man, I hope she's brought Fortune with her.
Here's the thing - I've been unceremoniously given an award by CatLady over at How To Become A Cat Lady Without The Cats. She lobbed it over the wall at me, wrapped in yesterday's Discordian Gazette. There was string involved, but I'm damned if I can tell you what knots she used. When I finally burned the impenetrable wrapper in frustration, the award was thankfully intact.
It's the Honest Scrap award. Ain't it purty?
My investigations tell me that this is awarded to people who write from the heart. Better yet, you get it from a previous winner. There are a few strings attached, but let's gloss over those for a few moments; my ego could do with a boost, and a moment basking in the warm glow of limelight and appreciation will do me some good. There was little sun in Ireland.
So first of all, thank you to CatLady.
Then thanks to all the mad buggers who have inspired the blog over the past few months; Keith, Annie, Cara, Robbie, Rebecca, Harry. They didn't write it of course, that was all me. *strikes an heroic pose* But I genuinely like these people, laugh at their brainfarts on Twitter, and soberly admit that my output would be inferior without them.
And finally - obviously - I want to thank my momma and Elvis.
Ok, now, the strings. Quoting from CatLady's original post:
1) “The Honest Scrap” award is not one to hold all to your self but it must be shared! (I believe firmly in passing good fortune along)
2) The recipient has to tell 10 true things about themselves in their blog that no one else knows. (Now hang on, I never agreed to that)
3) The recipient has to pass along this prestigious award to 10 more bloggers. (I'm not sure I like that many)
4) Those 10 bloggers all have to be notified they have been given this award. (Damn, I have no email addresses, so I hope they read their comments? Oh, of course they do)
5) Those 10 bloggers should link back to the blog that awarded them. (everyone is welcome in the House of Indigo. Except the lion.)
The smart cookies amongst you will immediately recognise this as a classic chain letter mechanism, and I can't dispute the logic of this. Yes, from a standing start of one blogger, with one round of awards every week, the award will have been received by 11 billion people before my birthday in mid-November. Hmmm.
But I'm absolutely delighted that CatLady chose me amongst her ten. It may even blow my skirt up; I'll get back to you on that. CatLady reads a lot of blogs, and the fact she likes mine more than a ton of others makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in a way that really doesn't happen very often.
So tush and fi to your damned cynicism!
For those waiting for the good stuff, wait no longer:
1) I scrub up pretty good. Shame about the ears.
2) I didn't always have short, swept back hair.
3) Five years ago, I weighed 325 pounds. I lost 70 pounds over the course of a year through hard work and sheer bloody-mindedness, and have now settled into 270. This may still sound a lot, but at 6'5" and broad, I carry it well.
4) The adventures of masterspy Indigo Roth are not entirely fictional. I can say no more.
5) When I was five, I attached a crocodile clip to my tongue, and hopped up and down until my mother removed it through tears of laughter.
6) I speak three languages badly. One of them may be English. I also have a smattering of others, but usually only enough to be polite and buy things.
7) Of all the people in history, I would have liked to meet Harland Sanders, honorary Colonel of Kentucky and founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken. I just want to say thanks. If I could choose, I would meet him in the 1930s, so I could try his original original recipe.
8) I carry an enormous amount of other people's secrets; I have a kind face. And I will never share them, which has caused friction in relationships.
9) I have phenomenally bad reading habits, despite writing for a living. Last year I read one book, an incremental increase over the year before.
10) One of these ten is a lie. It may be this one.
My intended victims? In no particular order, other than their order in my blogroll right now:
1) Unknown Mami over at her eponymous blog. Nice writing and cool photos.
2) Harry over at Harry Hotspur, his hardcore UK soccer blog. I never understand a word of it, of course, but it's passionate stuff.
3) Violet over at Sweet Violet Cooks. Always, always makes me hungry. Thankfully, this is a situation I always have a solution for.
4) Nancy over at F8HASIT. It's quite possible that of all the folk listed, Nancy may be the one who has received this particular award before. Second time's a charm, eh?
5) Rebecca over at Provocation of Mine (d). Sporadic of late - I hope for her triumphant return soon - but always interesting. Me and the dog miss ya, hon!
6) Janie over at DreamChaser98. A relatively new blog, but one I dip into.
7) Annie over at eolistpetite. One of my cloest friends, and my first stop of any day when there's a new post. Truly from the heart, and different every time.
8) Ms. Bunny over at Bunny Boiler. I've not been able to access this one for a while *cough* invitation lost in the post *cough* and I sure wish I could! Cross-dressing, drama queen schnorrers? You couldn't make this stuff up.
No, there's not ten; I really don't read that many. Bad reading habits, remember? But dammit, does that mean there won't be eleven billion winners before my birthday?
The couple of famous folk I read either won't notice my mail or won't reply, so I'll save myself the bother. But, in a rare moment of Kafka:
I'll sit at my window and dream to myself of that message when evening comes.
To all of those I pass this award onto:
I hope you'll look on this as a hat tip from me to you.
I like what you do. Spread the love.
See y'all soon,
This blog entry is protected by copyright © Indigo Roth, 2009