Does anyone fancy some simple fun? A show of hands, please?
OK, the vote is carried unanimously. Oh, with one exception.
Can somebody untie iDifficult please?
This blog entry is protected by copyright © Indigo Roth, 2010
Captain's Blog - Supplemental
I've been lucky enough to pick up two awards this week. It's getting late, so I'll share just one of them with you today. I'll save the second for when I blog at the weekend. I can tell you right now that writing about them has been fun. So, while you'll be missing a treat, I understand if you'd like to slip off to bed early with a hot milk drink with a spot of chai syrup in it. I'll be doing that later. Don't hog the duvet.
My lovely mate Nancy over at f8hasit has honoured me with a Best Follower Award:
This is in recognition for me being a loyal follower from the very beginning of her blog, a lovely gesture if ever I saw one. I must respond by telling the court that it's entirely her fault for writing a sparkling blog, and that I'm not to blame, Your Honour. I would also like iDifficult's blog to be taken into consideration.
So, here's the thing: I have to answer questions. Lots of 'em.
1. What is your current obsession?
I’m fairly sane at the moment, but Dominos, the NFL playoffs and the Rubik’s Cube are fairly prominent.
2. What are you wearing today?
Dark suit trousers with braces, and a t-shirt over the top. So that nobody can ping the braces. I may wear my suit tomorrow. It's worth it for the swooning.
3. What’s for dinner?
If I eat before I go to London, a gargantuan pizza. If I eat with friends at their place in London, it’ll be crisps and choccy and Pepsi Max. Nice, either way.
4. What’s the last thing you bought?
Petrol (that’s gas if you live west of the Atlantic). It was exhorbitant. You think it’s expensive in America? You have no idea.
5. What are you listening to right now?
Rush’s 1978 epic, Hemispheres. I was in a lighter mood, but Eric Dolphy’s Out To Lunch wasn’t blotting out this open plan office sufficiently.
6. What do you think about the person who tagged you?
Nancy? She's fabulous. I'd put money on her being sexy, too.
7. If you could have a house totally paid for, fully furnished anywhere in the world, where would you like it to be?
Marin County, California. Somewhere near Tomales, maybe? It's beautiful up there, and I'm told the bakery is terrific. Either that, or somewhere near the Great Barrier Relief in Queensland, Australia; north of Mackay, perhaps? I must blog the scuba diving sometime.
8. What are your must-have pieces for summer?
Golf shoes and a trilby hat. Who needs trousers, the snobs.
9. If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go?
Actually, Nancy’s suggestion of Machu Pichu sounds pretty good, though an hour wouldn’t cover it. It’d be nice to drop and see a friend in Grand Haven, Michigan.
10. Which language do you want to learn?
Spanish, though my French needs work. Japanese would be pretty cool, too. Utz!
11. What’s your favourite quote?
“Now’s the time to turn the tide, now’s the time to fight. Let us not go gently to the endless winter night.” It's a lyric from Rush's track Red Tide, but it might have a literary heritage I'm ignorant of.
12. Who do you want to meet right now?
What, famous? Colonel Harland Sanders, though I’d need a time machine. I just want to say thanks.
13. What is your favourite colour?
Dark blue ;> There may be another word for it.
14. Give us 3 styling tips that work for you.
Be clean. Fresh breath. Screw fashion.
15. What is your dream job?
A job where I can randomly come up with ideas and sell them. Blogging is as close to it as I’ll get.
16. What’s your favorite magazine?
Empire, though I seldom read magazines.
17. If you had $100 now, what would you spend it on?
Dollars?! I’m a Brit, dammit! Ok, then something from Amazon for an American friend. I like to share my good fortune.
18. What do you consider a fashion faux pas?
You’re asking me?
19. Who according to you is the most over-rated style icon?
Victoria Beckham, Nancy nailed it again. Girls need more positive weight role models. And frankly, as a female icon she does nothing for me as a man.
20. What kind of haircut do you prefer?
Short back and sides, a bit longer on top. Nothing I can’t do with a comb in five seconds. A spot of gel when it misbehaves.
21. What are you going to do after this?
Go get a haircut (see 20)
22. What are your favourite movies?
Very few that are respected for their artistic merits. The ones I watch most are the Connery 007 movies (Goldfinger and You Only Live Twice are the best), John Carpenter’s original 1980 classic The Fog, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. All awesome, and easy to rewatch.
23. What inspires you?
Anything I would have been proud to create. And occasionally things I do create.
24. What do your friends call you most commonly?
My name? Or HEY YOU! Of course, 'Difficult calls me Betty, and says that when I call him I can call him Al.
25. Would you prefer coffee or tea?
Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon. Evening? Neither, but a stiff Vesper is always welcome. Steady, madam!
26. What do you do when you are feeling low or terribly depressed?
I eat pizza. Much like I do when I'm happy.
27. What makes you go wild?
Wild? As in sexy abandon? I forget. But smart is sexy. Though tons of things make me angry. Usually it's people being casually thoughtless or intentionally inconsiderate.
28. Which other blogs do you love visiting?
Anything I list in my blogroll. I read other blogs too, but the listed ones are always my current favourites. I rotate some in and out occasionally, but continue to read them on the quiet from my dashboard.
29. Favorite Dessert/Sweet?
Steamed sponge pudding with lots of jam, and hot custard.
30. How many tabs are turned on in your browser right now?
Four, but I'm running other browsers too. Men can multitask too. Well, their computers can, anyway.
31. Favorite Season?
Winter. I like the short days and cold nights, though I have to keep an eye on my mood. Snowfall makes me smile; I am told this means I am not old yet.
32. If I come to your house now, what would you cook for me?
I don't know. What do you fancy? My Cajun is pretty good - gumbo, jamabalaya, duck and biscuits, pecan pie, homemade ice cream. It'd mean a trip to the supermarket, whatever it is. We could just order out, of course.
33. What is the right way to avoid people who purposefully hurt you?
The right way to avoid them? I find that staking them out in the midday desert sun near a termite mound tends to keep them out of my hair. I'm a very easy going bloke, but a bit Old Testament if wronged.
34. What are you afraid of the most?
Loss, I suppose. I don't care for spiders, and I don't like tall vertical distances from up close. From the top looking down, or the bottom looking up. Result? Total loss of Mojo.
35. When you looked at yourself in the mirror today, what was the first thing you thought?
Fat bastard! Get a haircut!
36. What brings a smile on your face instantly?
Anything that's well done (see 23).
37. A word that you say a lot?
OK. Oh, and Roquefort.
38. What would you do if you were made President for one day?
Invade Poland? Sorry, that'd be if I was Führer for a day.
39. What is that one thing that keeps you going?
The people I love.
40. What's word drives you crazy when you hear it?
Well, not a word, a phrase - touching base. I prefer to talk to people. Actually, just about any corporate euphemism gets my goat.
Apparently I have to add a question of my own, and tag a new set of people. Eight or ten? Forget that, not happening. But here's my question:
41. What's your least favourite character trait?
A conveniently short memory.
I'll pass this onto a short list of followers, to keep this currency vibrant and exciting. Click the names to visit their blog.
1. CatLady. I think she's read and commented on every damned blog I've written. Better yet, she liked them. I sleep better knowing she's overseas.
2. Eolist Petite. A huge encouragement and consistent presence since the beginning. And a "real life" friend, gorgeous redhead, sharer of escapades, and renowned tinyperson.
3. iDifficult. A solid commenter, and the only one of my followers who takes me out and buys me curry. Give this man a medal.
4. Lesinfin. A relatively new follower, and a bit of a mystery, but I always get a bit giddy when I see that Ms. Fin has left a comment. I adore her avatar, too.
5. Kato. Another lady that inspires a sense of anticipation. And with a name like that, she could be a Roth. Double whammy.
Thank you Nancy! Hope to hear from you soon!
This blog entry is protected by copyright © Indigo Roth, 2010